Repotting Some Orchids

 

20160310_170348
Sophronitis cernua

 

As I said in my SB Orchid show haul post, the roots looked a little questionable on the Sophronitis cernua I bought. And it was true; the roots that were in the pot were mostly dead, but there’s a few left, which is good. As Wade’s Greenhourse mentioned, they are supposed to do better mounted, so I decided to mount this one on a piece of wood. It has been a few days and an eye on the largest grown seems to be swelling a little…or maybe I’m just imagining it. My husband was excited to use his new rotary tool to drill the hole into the wood.

sophronitis

Also this week, I decided to repot my Phaleanopsis Samera (Phal violacea x Phal bellina). I got it from Hausermann’s, and it came with a larger plant and two smaller ones in a 3 in pot. I wanted to repot it because the large plant was shading one of the smaller ones.

 

phalsamera

Unlike the sophronitis, the roots were excellent on the Phals. Upon inspection, they were all growing new root tips. Hausermann’s always has super healthy plants, and they are pretty affordable.

Here are the finished products…

20160311_170025
The smallest baby was mounted. This is the one that was shaded.
20160311_172216
Group shot of the Phal Sameras

I guess we will see which ones will do best!

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Repotting Some Orchids

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s